Read Time: 1 Minute
It is time. Time to switch from yogurt and fruit, cold cereal (oh please) to the best hot weather breakfast or snack – granita. This one with blueberries and the zip of fresh grated ginger will make you feel so much better, I promise you. A fine Sicilian tradition usually associated with coffee, or pistachios, lemon or almonds, but this one is made with American blueberries. The others featured in this previous post are really good, but the blueberry ginger one by Nadia Roden in her book Granita Magic. is more than worth the minimal effort it takes to make it. If you have purchased the Blueberry Essence from France available at Simply Gourmand, add 1/4 teaspoon to your mix before freezing.
- 3/4 cup (170gr) white granulated sugar (I use India Tree Caster Sugar)
- 2 tbs (10 1/2 gr)peeled and grated or finely chopped )fresh ginger
- 1 lb (454gr) blueberries
- 5 tbs (74ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup (237ml) water_
- In a food processor, combine the sugar with the fresh ginger and puree to a paste
- Add the blueberries, lime juice, water and puree to a liquid
- Strain through a fine sieve, stirring and pressing with a spoon or rubber spoonula.
- Discard the solids, allow the mixture to cool in the firdge.
- Then process in your ice cream mixer or follow instructions for making in a tray in your freezer.
After owning one of the best cooking stores in the US for 47 years, Nancy Pollard writes a blog about food in all its aspects – recipes, film, books, travel, superior sources and food related issues.