Read Time: 1 Minute
You might find more complicated strawberry recipes, but none will be better tasting than this old recipe from Sunset Magazine. Grab your strawberries, make a crust or buy one, but do have a slice! If you love the flavor of strawberries and find the ones in the US to not be that flavorful, purchase the Wild Strawberry Essence from Grasse, France from www.simplygourmand.com
- Pre baked pie shell of your choice 9.5-10 inches in diameter, 1.5 inch side
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 9 gr sheet gelatin or 1 tbs powdered gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Wild Strawberry Essence from Grasse France
- Soften sheet gelatin in water or dissolve powdered gelatin in 1/4 cup water
- Cook 3/4 cup of the strawberries in 1 cup of water until they are soft.
- Strain the strawberries back into the water so that you get a thin puree.
- Add the 1 cup of sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the gelatin of your choice, (wring out sheet gelatin if using that)
- Chill a bit until just barely cool and syrupy.
- Fold this liquid into the strawberries and add the essence.
- Pour into pie shell and chill until the gelatin is set.
- Serve with whipped cream
- I add a small amount of natural strawberry essence from France into the strawberries as our strawberries here are not very flavorful.
- The flavoring essences from Grasse, France are superior to our domestic flavoring extracts. You will use less and the flavor and aroma will be exceptional. These are the ones that we carried at La Cuisine. They are available at www.simplygourmand.com
After owning one of the best cooking stores in the US for 47 years, Nancy Pollard writes a blog about food in all its aspects – recipes, film, books, travel, superior sources and food related issues.