You might find more complicated strawberry recipes, but not will be better tasting than this old recipe from Sunset Magazine. Grab your strawberries, make a crust or buy one, but do have a slice!
- Pre baked pie shell of your choice 9.5-10 inches in diameter, 1.5 inch side
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced in half
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 9 gr sheet gelatin or 1 tbs powdered gelatin
- 1 cup water
- Soften sheet gelatin in water or dissolve powdered gelatin in 1/4 cup water
- Cook 3/4 cup of the strawberries in 1 cup of water until they are soft.
- Strain the strawberries back into the water so that you get a thin puree.
- Add the 1 cup of sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the gelatin of your choice, (wring out sheet gelatin if using that)
- Chill a bit until just barely cool and syrupy.
- Fold this liquid into the strawberries.
- Pour into pie shell and chill until the gelatin is set.
- Serve with whipped cream
- I add a small amount of natural strawberry essence from France into the strawberries as our strawberries here are not very flavorful.
After owning one of the best cooking stores in the US for 47 years, Nancy Pollard writes a blog about food in all its aspects – recipes, film, books, travel, superior sources and food related issues.